Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saturday in Makati

I used to work in SGV Consulting in Makati in late 1989 up to 1992. Spending most of my waking hours in that area from Monday to Friday familiarized me with the ins and outs of "old Makati". Why do I say old? Since moving to Cebu 16 years ago right after getting married, a lot in the place have changed. Every year that I got to visit Makati, a structure got renovated or torn down and replaced by another. It's sad that I didn't have photos of how the Makati I knew looked like.

Last Saturday, Jerry and I strolled down memory lane as we tried to recall the old places. I couldn't help looking for Gibson's where I usually took colorum mini-bus or jeepney rides to Las Pinas back in those days. Now, Jerry tells me it's already part of Park Square. I asked him where the Tia Maria Mexican bar/resto we used to frequent is located, and he tells me it's actually Max Brenner now. Larry's Bar, San Mig Pub, and Max's Fried Chicken, the resto where my parents and siblings once ate to celebrate a grade school graduation is now GB5! I couldn't help but shake my head... Haha! Ganun??? I'm feeling lost...and old! :D

Even the SGV Development Center along Perea and Dela Rosa Streets, where Jerry and I worked and met in 1989 is no longer there. In it's place is a high-rise condominium.

Change happens so fast it's dizzying...

Saturday in Makati
With Pa, Ma, sis May, niece Zia (Pics taken at GB5 and Glorietta)

3 comments:

  1. If digital cameras were an "in" thing then... I'm sure we both would have captured the old Makati.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ergo in this wide world nothing is permanent but change. Usually a change for the better. Like the old Lahug, that used to be a domestic airport. But what is it today? A big IT Park where young professionals congregate and work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 | Linnor
    August 18, 2008 at 6:11 pm | edit

    I definitely agree! Back then, we had the “instamatic” cameras. You had to have the film developed first before you could see if you were able to take a good shot. :D


    4 | linnor
    August 19, 2008 at 12:00 am | edit

    HI PAPARAZZI! It would be good to have pics to preserve how these old places once looked like… for posterity. :D

    ReplyDelete