Friday, March 9, 2007

Fire!

IMG_6900
Fire as viewed from my rear view mirror
---



IMG_6898
A closer view of the black column of smoke...
---



Last Tuesday, I received a very early text from one of our software engineers. He was going on an emergency leave as their house got burned down. It started from a neighbor's house that quickly spread to their property. Inspite of their residence being gutted, his family heaved a sigh of relief that the row of apartments (in their compound) they are renting out, did not burn and nobody got hurt. It would have been a bigger loss.

When I drove to get Kyle from school last Wednesday, there was a huge column of black smoke in the horizon. From Asiatown IT Park to the school, the size remained the same. I thought this must be a huge fire razing houses and businesses somewhere in Mandaue.

Then the news the following day came out:
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/03/08/index.html

The people in the affected barangay in Mandaue were not as lucky... What little they owned, got lost in the 4-hr fire...

And to think it's fire prevention month...

8 comments:

  1. these fires normally happen during fire prevention month. had there been no "awareness" program, like the fire prevention month, maybe there would be a larger number of fires breaking out. at least in march, people tend to be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI SEXY MOM!
    I guess so, but that really makes me wonder. hehehe.. I think its also because it's more humid during these months, not sure if this contributes to the easy spread of fires... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the worst thing that can happen to investments and properties that we sweated to put up for a lifetime - gone in an hour :(

    send our support to the family of TC. what help can the company do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why there seem to be more fires whenever "Fire Prevention Month" is declared. We should probably stop celebrating this....maybe we may have less fires!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what sad news. Fire is such a tragic accident to happen to anyone. I pray that they will be able to cope with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to work in ERUF and usually The Fire Month is where the most fire accidents happen

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hope your engineer and his/her family are doing ok after this. for me, totoo talaga yung kasabihan na i'd rather be manakawan than masunugan. di ko maimagine what i'd do if that happened to me.

    ingat ingat ok?

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI JUNNIE!
    Yes... I've already offered financial assistance from the company... He can avail of it anytime.

    HI JERRY!
    I only realize its fire prevention month when I seem to hear more fire incidents in the news. Otherwise, I wouldnt know.

    HI LEAH!
    It has totally devastated a lot of families...

    HI CHASE!
    ERUF? Unless there's an ERUF in other parts of the Phils, you mean you were originally from Cebu? :D That's good to hear.

    HI MEEYAGIRL!
    Thanks. Oo nga... Sa fire, wala lahat in an instant...

    ReplyDelete