Thursday, May 19, 2005

Pay Up or Suffer

Jerry and I left the house early at 730 this morning for NBI-7 as I intended to get my clearance for submission to my new employer. It has been more than 8 years since I last had my clearance processed and we already anticipated the long lines of people.

At the designated parking outside the NBI compound, a man and a woman, clad in shorts, greeted us immediately. They were "facilitators" looking for a quick buck in exchange for "special" services. Knowing that some government offices do not practice the "mamamayan muna" attitude and instead would dilly-dally the processing without concern for everyone who is in a hurry, we were fodder for these opportunistic facilitators. Sadly, we took the "express lane" without hesitating for a moment.

I don't know if this errant practice is known to NBI officials. We don't know for sure if some insiders share in the "facilitation fee" loot. What we know is that because we were party to the misdeed, the processing for our NBI clearances only took an hour (1) tops.

We were out of there in no time, passing the long queues snaking their way to the different sections of the office. People like me are partly to blame for the rampant corruption in these offices. How unfortunate. It's either you pay up or endure the heat and long wait as your paper gets pushed to the bottom of the heap to accommodate those who didn't want to be inconvenienced.

Sad. :(

5 comments:

  1. Hey I can comment here! Linnor, don't feel so bad. No is perfect =) I would have paid up too if the alternative was unbearable heat and waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI PINAYHEKMI!
    Thanks! I feel better. Heehee... I really abhor senseless waiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate waiting especially if I know that I really don't have to. If only govt. makes things easier for everyone then no "facilitation fees" are necessary...but maybe they don't really want to lose out on that income steam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your NBI experience reminds me about mine three years ago when I went to NBI office at 6.30 am just to be the first in line only to find out that most of those earlier than me have the same idea, haha. I end up waiting for almost two hours before it was my turn. When I renewed my clearance a year after, I went with Chat who has an uncle working with the NBI office. Now, that's what I call "express service". It only took us 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI JERRY!
    That's precisely what I have in mind as well. :P

    HI JINKAI!
    Wow that was quick! 10 minutes! So that means that's all it really takes for the whole process. Haay naku, the red tape talaga... :(

    ReplyDelete