Thursday, October 2, 2003

Flashback 10 Years



Ten years ago, on the 23rd of July, I delivered Matthew through Lamaze natural birth (unmedicated)... It was a beautiful (but not without pain) experience which Jerry & I shared from the time I had my early contractions at 7am to the time Matt let out a hearty scream 8 hours after. Jerry was my coach-partner in the labor room and the delivery room. He did a great job of helping me focus on my breathing, a special technique to manage the pain.



As soon as I felt the expulsive sensations in my birth canal, I counted around 5 pushes. Every push found me doing the semi sit-up as I held my breath for 10 seconds. Everyone in the room was egging me in hushed tones. I heard the nurses say: "Ang galing nya mag-Lamaze!" (She's doing great with Lamaze!)



The big & final one that heralded Matt's exit from the warm confines of my womb was the most liberating thing I ever did. I saw my tummy just deflate before my eyes! It was just awesome, the whole delivery process. Soon everyone was busy with me and Matt. I was fully alert but unmindful of the things going on around me.



All I cared about was Matthew as he instiinctively suckled and Jerry and I lovingly looked at this small wonder.



(I delivered Kyle in 1996 and still employed the Lamaze technique. However, Jerry was not in the labor room and delivery room with me at that time. The hospital became stricter since some laboring moms were complaining about the presence of the other husbands. That made it slightly more difficult for me to do the semi sit-ups all by myself. This time, though I labored for 12 hours, I think I made it in less than 5 pushes. *smiles proudly*



With 6 months to go, I feel I'm no longer as brave as I was 10 years earlier. However, recalling such wonderful experiences encourage me to keep my mind off any fear. Barring any other condition and if God wills it, I think I'll still do the unmedicated delivery the third time around.)

No comments:

Post a Comment