Saturday, September 24, 2005

As Good As Blind

At 5am yesterday, I scooped Jake from his playpen as soon as he stood up and made giggly sounds. I wasn't fully awake yet, but I thought he was safer on the bed between Jerry and me rather than in his pen. He knows how to clamber up using the mesh and I shudder at the thought that one day he might just be able to get himself out... with a thud!

So he lay there with us sucking his milk bottle. I bundled him in the blankie and just kept my eyes closed... happy to be able to hold him close and sniff his milk-scented cheeks and jammies... Hmm. Cute...

I must have dozed off for a few minutes. When I finally opened my eyes, I fumbled under my pillows looking for my glasses. I usually keep my glasses by the headboard or on the chair that doubled up as a side table, however, this time it was under my pillows. Or so I thought...

When I sat up, I found my glasses literally snapped from the joint. It broke and when I looked up, a big part of it lay next to Jake. Grr... The little guy must have found it and fiddled with it until it broke.

~~~~~~~~~~

Still on my eyeglasses...

It was a pair of Esprit eyeglasses that came with shades that you just snap on the sides (magnetic) when you need to protect your eyes from the sun. I bought it for almost P4ooo back in 1997. I had the lenses changed several times when my eye grade increased. Just a couple of months ago, I spent P1600 for special new lenses when my grade became 300 on both eyes. I thought, gee, new lenses but still the same old trusty frames. It practically served me well.

When I saw my eyeglasses yesterday morning in two pieces, I thought, oh...no... I'm as good as blind!

Last night, with Jerry and Kyle, I went to the mall and headed straight to i2i. I gingerly looked over their display and soon found one that kinda looked okay. I paid P200 and went up to Executive Optical where I had my records since the time I bought my Esprit pair from them.

In contrast to what I usually got before, this time I ordered ordinary plastic lenses to replace the equally cheap ones on the i2i frame. I paid P300. Reasonable. Total (completely unnecessary!) expense brought on by Jake - P500+

retro lookWith Jake around, I don't think another expensive pair is practical. I just hope this new pair of retro specs lasts me a looong time and adds a few "ganda" points to my looks.

Ahem. You be the judge of that. Hehehe.

20 comments:

  1. Cool specs!...I'm also a "cheapo" when it comes to glasses. I'd buy the P69 per pair (yup! P69 only)glasses at SM and have the lenses changed for P250. Total cost P319. He! he!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, your glasses look great on you! hindi nga halatang inexpensive no... or baka dahil sa nagsusuot yun (naks!). haaay, heto nga kahit hassle i wear contacts na since i had ninna, i think siguro yun impossible na niya madukot *crossed fingers* :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, nice pair! hmmm, i guess i need to change my frames too, getting tired of mine. that heavy frames kinda invite me lately to have a new look hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI JERRY!
    Natuto nga ako sayo eh! If Jake gets his chubby little fingers on this one, di masyadong masakit sa bulsa! :D

    HI MEEYAGIRL!
    Kinabahan nga hubs ko when I initially said I might just have my eyes "lasered". Kasi P120k yata dito yun. Hahaha! Di pa ako ganun kayaman. Hehehe. I used to wear contact lenses din but my eyes get irritated kasi... I'll cross my fingers with you. Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI ANALYSE!
    If it's priced reasonably, why not? Ok din pang-accessorize ang specs. Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its nice! And more importantly, practical in price. I think you're right. With the little one around, better be safe than extravagant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ive had my pair for 7 years. wala kasi akong kasing likot ni jakes. id rather have a jake and a new pair of glasses everyday. :)

    i wear contacts, and yes tama nga si meeyagirl, even i, have a hard time getting them off...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI PINAYHEKMI!
    Thanks! I was tempted to go the extravagant way but thanks to hubs who reminded me it's not worth having one only to be wrecked by the bugoy Jake. :D

    HI JUNNIE!
    Hehehe... The boys are not used to seeing me with heavy frames... According to Kyle, I look old. And to Matt, I look like May daw! Hahaha! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linnor, your new pair of glasses looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i dont know which among your boys was complimenting you...

    matthew might have to be grounded i guess..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi linnor! cool specs! nice look!

    thanks for all your prayers during this past hurricane threat to us! we deeply appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your specs look good on you.. ako rin, my eyes get irrirated with contacts kaya my backup glasses ako palagi. kung pwede lang magpa-lasik! :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI JO!
    Thanks! Halata bang fishing for compliments? Heeheehee...

    HI JUNNIE!
    Parehong hindi compliment! Hahaha! Magagalit sayo si May nyan. :D

    HI PAZ!
    Thanks! Glad to know that you're all well after the hurricane threat. :d

    HI TIN!
    Mas mura daw magpa-lasik in Manila. Its about 70k yata (still too pricey for my standards), much lower than in Cebu or elsewhere. I'd stick to wearing specs or (occasional) lenses siguro. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow sis! i like it. makes you look young and smart :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI JOJO!
    Yey, I like that - young and smart. Pero mukhang young and smart lang pala. Bwahaha... I should tell my boys that. Kulit ano? :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. it looks good on you. time na nga siguro talaga to change ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessica Zafra is that you?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI ANP!
    Uy, salamat! :D

    HI MAY!
    Nge ganun?! Haha! Maputing version...

    ReplyDelete
  19. linnor,
    yup, i agree...the specs look good on you, or is it you look good with the specs...basta yun na yun, pretty as ever ka pa rin! just last week, i had the test for lasik, sadly i didn't qualify for it, i have been wearing glasses since 5th grade, and yung right eye ko lang ang may grado..the left is okay, i wear contacts though...kasi di bagay sa akin ang may salamin,,i really look old! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI ANNABANANA!
    Naks, salamat sa compliments ha! :D Sa Philippines ka magpa-lasik. I'm sure sobrang mura compared there. :)

    ReplyDelete